Request a Microsoft Authenticode or VB (multiple-platforms) certificateTo request a Microsoft, or Visual Basic (VB), Visual Studio (VS), ... (multiple-platforms) developer certificate, you need to use Internet Explorer.
With Internet Explorer 5.5 to 6 (or 7 under XP):Through the certificate order form, your browser will generate the private key under the form of a .pvk file. When you'll install the certificate, you'll get the .spc file.
Note the path to the .pvk file that you have chosen on the order form..
With Internet Explorer 7 to 11 (Starting from Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008)When filling the order form, your browser will generate a private key that will be stored in the Windows registry (certificates registry). There is no .pvk file anymore. When you'll install the certificate, it will b installed in the Windows registry (visible via the MMC). There won't be .spc file anymore.
How to choose a Code Signing certificate for Microsoft Authenticode:
- To sign an application, binaries, or a Windows library, 32 or 64 bits (.EXE/.MSI/.DLL), you will need a Thawte, Symantec, or Globalsign Code Signing Certificate. See: http://thawte.tbs-certificats.com/codesign_explication.html.fr
- If you want to sign Windows drivers, you will need to get Symantec or Globalsign products. This is also what you wil need to get to sign for Windows RT.
- If you want to sign kernel dirvers for Windows 10, you will need to use a Globalsign EV Code Signing Certificate.
- If you want to maximize your Smartscreen compatibility, right from your certificate deployment, we also recommend the Globalsign EV Code Signing Certificate.
- Tariffs and order form
Once your certificate delivered:
- Install a Microsoft Authenticode or VB, VBA (multiple-platforms) certificate
- Use a Microsoft Authenticode certificate
To prevent expiration issues you neeed to apply a timestamp to your digital signature (see timestamping in Microsoft documentation).
Windows 10 an Microsoft Edge caseMicrosoft Edge is not compatible with the Cert Enroll API from Microsoft or the html Keygen tag. You need to use Internet Explorer on Windows. On Windows 10, Internet Explorer 11 is available by default A download page is also available.
CSR manual generation
When you do not have access to Internet Explorer, you can also generate private keys and CSR using Windows tools:
Last edited on 03/28/2017 14:48:14 --- [search]